Monday, October 19, 2009

The day I said "YES!"

Luis and I are very practical people. We are very routine and always have a schedule. Surprises for us are few and far between. In March of 2009 we had been dating over 4 years so we knew marriage was definitely in the works for us and we talked about it all the time. I had (and still am) battling my weight and I needed to get something going to really motivate me, so I told Luis he was not able to even think about proposing until my weight was in the 140's! Drastic you say? Maybe.. but it was necessary. I really needed to lose the 40 lbs. I was carrying on my 5'3" frame and what better way to get my ass in gear than to put a carrot in front of the donkey! However, Luis was very adamant about me picking out my ring. He wanted to make sure that it was the ring that I absolutely loved, since I will be wearing it for the rest of my life. So we took a day and went ring shopping and I picked out the PERFECT one. He hid it from me for what seemed like forever and I focused my attention on hitting my goal weight. Because I was pretty far from my goal still, I knew a proposal was nowhere in sight.

Saturday March 28th was a typical day for us. We both had the day off and headed off to the gym. Saturday is always our "gym date"... yes, we're nerds =) We worked out for about an hour and a half and on the way home talked about going to get dinner at our favorite pizza place, Sharkey's. When we got home, I walked in first and was taken aback by how different my house looked. There were flowers all along the front entrance and candles lit everywhere. Over the course of the next 5-10 seconds a billion things were racing through my mind. My first thought was that I immediately noticed yellow flowers, and yellow roses are my mom's favorite, so I begin thinking that we had just walked in on a surprise that my dad had planned for my mom. At this time, important dates are running through my mind. Mom's birthday? Nope. Wedding Anniversary? Nope. Did my Pop's do something bad enough to require this kind of lavish apology? Nope. So then I am totally confused and am just thinking that we need to hurry up and leave! As I turn around to tell Luis this, I see that he is on his knee holding a beautiful little box. That's the moment that I realize that it was all for me. After saying some amazing things that shall forever remain between us, he asked me to be his wife and through tears I said yes.
I still cannot believe he actually surprised me! Everyone kept telling me that since I knew he had the ring that I had totally ruined any chance of being surprised but I absolutely was. I had no idea that coming home sweaty from the gym one day would be the day he proposed. He knew he had to make it a surprise for me because that's what every girl wants. Afterwards, we sat on the couch and he held me while we talked a little, cried a little and talked about our future together, except this time it felt so much more real. I wouldn't change anything about that incredible day, and the best part was, we still got to have dinner at Sharkey's =)

For those of you who think Luis is always so serious, he does have a very silly side <3

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love it and I'm so glad he got to suprise you!!!! :D Yay cousin in law haha.

    ReplyDelete