Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's Time to Give Back

I am a lucky girl.  I have an amazing family, a warm place to sleep every night and I don't have to worry about where my next meal will come from.  But I realize that not everyone has these luxuries that we so often take for granted.  So I've thought of a way that I could give back.  I don't have a lot of money, I can't adopt 100 children or feed the homeless everyday, but I can take a hobby and turn it into a way to make people feel just a little more cozy at night.

When I was in college at Cal Poly Pomona, I used to commute about 60 miles each way to go to class.  Thankfully, my Tia Gaby lived just 10 minutes away from my school, so I would often times stay the night there if I didn't want to make the long trek home.  On the nights I stayed there, my Tia would teach me how to crochet and I loved doing it and more than anything, I loved that my great grandmother Mami Chayito taught her and she was passing her knowledge down to me.  Lately I have been crocheting a lot... I'm not great, but I do make a pretty awesome scarf!  Basically, at this point I can't make anything that isn't a rectangle or a square but I am determined to learn!  I am also determined to use this to give back.

So my plan for 2010 is to start a non-profit organization.  I will make scarves, blankets, eventually beanies mittens, and socks and pass them out to homeless shelters and those who are less fortunate.  I realize I'm not curing cancer but if my scarf can keep someone warm at night while not having to spend a dime on it, then I have accomplished my goal.  So all you crafty people out there who already crochet, or those of you who want to learn (I PROMISE its very easy!) I encourage you to help me in this endeavor.  Let me know if you would be interested in helping in anyway, whether it be actually making some pieces over the year, or just donating some yarn.  I will be getting all the details set up over the next few weeks so I will keep you all posted!



Now, I just have to come up with a cute name!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Sara!! I get all warm and fuzzy inside just reading this. I promise to be a helper of this organization=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will a bottle of Corona come with the scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! I was wondering if anyone would notice that =) I actually got the pic from the internet so it wasn't my beer! lol!

    ReplyDelete