Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Friday night in the ER

Soooo, Friday night Luis went to train at a gym in Hemet that he sometimes goes to if he's out there working late and can't make it to Team Quest.  It was a pretty typical day for me.  I worked, went to the gym and was looking forward to my 4 day weekend and absolutely nothing to do.  I'm laying in my bed and I hear a bunch of male voices in my house and my dogs bark, a sure sign that someone out of the ordinary is here.  And then my mom says "Aye, Luis te que paso?"

I ran out of bed and saw Luis holding his back and walking like an 89 year old man.  He told me he pulled something in his back and was in A LOT of pain.  Apparently, they guys at the gym had to pick Luis up and carry him out of the cage and they even drove him home from Hemet!  (I'm bringing them cookies today to thank them).

We were worried that he could have slipped a disk or pinched his sciatica so we decided that it was worth a trip to the ER, especially since he has a fight in 5 weeks.  He could barely move and I had to put his shoes and socks on and put his sweatshirt on for him.  Poor guy couldn't even get in the car without help.  I packed up my usual ER necessities (I'm used to this remember?) like a few magazines (thank goodness I had just gotten my new Glamour), water bottle, cell phone and a warm sweatshirt (the hospital is always freezing!) and we headed to Inland Valley.

We pretty much know the routine there but when we pulled up they were extremely busy and had someone taking vitals (temp, blood pressure, etc) pretty much right in the lobby in front of everyone.  So when this hilarious little Philipino woman who had way to much energy told Luis to take his sweatshirt off so she could take his blood pressure, Luis quietly told her that he didn't have a shirt on underneath it.  For those of you who don't know Luis, he is very self counscuious about his body (which is amazing IMO) but he doesn't like to "show it off" as he puts it.  Well, this woman laughed and maybe even shreaked a little and said very loudly "WHOOHOOO, we get to see those six pack abs now!" OMG poor Luis was mortified! But I was laughing sooo much, as was everyone else in the waiting room.  Luckily for Luis, she pulled out a blood pressure monitor designed to go over clothes =) Here is Luis just waiting....


So after maybe 2 hours of waiting for x-rays to come back, they moved us into this room with about 8 other patients and an amazing nurse named Aaron.  If you ever have to go to Inland Valley, this guy is the best!  He took the time with each patient and really got to know them and he made the additional 3 hours there fly by.  He gave Luis some muscle relaxers and and injection of dilaudid which Aaron referred to as "morphines big brother".  I think Luis was out before Aaron even left the room and he slept for 2 of the 3 hours we were there.


He woke up just in time to hear that his disks and nerves were fine and that he had a severe lumbar strain in his lower back, similar to an injury that occurs from a car accident.  So they sent us home with some prescriptions for muscle relaxers and pain medication, and instructions to do nothing physical for at least a few days. We never even filled the prescriptions because Luis said he was gonna tough it out, and hes at the gym swimming (no impact on the back) as we speak.  When will that boy ever learn???

No comments:

Post a Comment