Friday, January 1, 2010

Stitches from the Heart



Its time to give back!  I initially had thought about starting my own non-profit organization but to be honest I had no idea where to start and when I did start researching it, I felt completely overwhelmed.  My Aunt Gaby emailed me regarding a charity organization called Stitches from the Heart.  Based out of Santa Monica, Stitches from the Heart is an organization started by Kathy Silverton.  After hearing about premature babies going home from hospitals with very little, Kathy started knitting booties, blankets and hats to donate to hospitals.
Stitches from the Heart is now celebrating its 4th anniversary and has 12,000+ volunteers and has donated over half a million items to over 1,088 hospitals and charities around the country!  When I read about this amazing charity I knew I had to be a part of it!  Luis was born premature,  weighing just 3 lbs, and his parents were so incredibly poor so this charity definitely hits close to home for me.  I could only imagine how grateful his parents would have been for someone to give them a knitted blanket or hat handmade with love for a perfect stranger.  I cannot wait to start and I am looking forward to making someones first trip home with their baby a happy and warm one!

If anyone is interested in helping you can contact Stitches from the Heart through their website http://www.stitchesfromtheheart.org/.  Even if you don't crochet or knit, you can still contribute some way so I encourage you all to check out the website!

No comments:

Post a Comment